Corpus Christi banner

New Court and Chapel

 
 

Corpus Christi college is the only college in the universities of Oxford and Cambridge not founded by either royalty, aristocrats or the chuch. It was founded by two guilds of the residents of Cambridge: Corpus Christi and The Blessed Virgin. Hence its full name of The College of Corpus Christi and The Blessed Virgin Mary. Having said that, it was for many years known locally as Bene'ts. It took this name from the parish church next door which is dedicated to St Bene't. The church's tower is the oldest building in Cambridge and predates the Norman conquest.

The college is the second smallest in Cambridge judged by numbers of students, after Peterhouse which was founded in 1284. Corpus is the 6th oldest college of Cambridge university having been founded in1352. Licence to found the college was given to the guildsmen by King Edward III.

Despite being so small in comparison, Corpus is considered to be among the weathiest of the Cambridge colleges. This is due to a number of reasons. Partly because of the value of the medieval manuscripts held in the Parker library but also because of its significant collection of silver.

There are some interesting little stories relating to the college's silverware down the centuries. Of course, silverware was important as it was a store of wealth. Interestingly, during the English Civil War the college didn't take sides and didn't contribute to either side's efforts. In order to preserve their silver from plundering from either side, the Fellows shared out the silverware for safe keeping. They lost none! and returned it all to the college when the war was over.

Sadly, they were plundered in recent times when a local man stole an amount of silverware which had been on display in the chapel. A small amount was recovered but he had melted most of it down to sell. None of the lost silverware was part of the Parker bequest.

Archbishop Mathew Parker (1504 - 1575)

Without any question of a doubt, Mathew Parker, who became Master and subsequently the first Archbishop of Canterbury in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I is extremely important to the history of the college and its wealth, even up to the present day.

Mathew was born in Norwich. He studied at Corpus and became a Fellow in 1527. In those days, all fellows of Corpus were priests. Whilst being a protestant, he was not as rabid as many others at that time being very scholarly about his beliefs. It was this steadfastness and common sense that made him attractive as Archbishop to Queen Elizabeth.

Mathew was Master when Queen Mary gained the throne of England. He was very quickly replaced but because of his good sense, was not persecuted by the Catholics. However, Corpus was very close to his heart which brought about his legacy to the college and the creation of the library which bears his name.

Mathew was an enthusiastic collector of books and manuscripts. It is believed that the term "Nosy Parker" came from his enquiries as to what such items were owned by people.

In his will the archbishop bequested his books, manuscripts and silver to the college with a somewhat unusual condition: If over a certain number of documents should become lost, the remainder were to transferred to Gonville and Caius colleges. This led to a custom which still survives to this day when every so often there is a ceremonial inspection and audit of the bequest. A similar condition exists for the silverware that Mathew left to the college.

Another famous student of the college was Christopher Marlow who matriculated in 1580.

Another interesting item about the college is that it owns the Eagle pub. This is where Watson and Crick used to take their refreshment and where they announced they had found the structure of human DNA saying that they had found the secret of life.

The Wikipedia page with much more detailed information about the college is here.  

The college's own website page is here.

Return to Home Page
Go to Cathedrals Page

Copyright © dunclair.co.uk